Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Oncology

Yesterday I had an appointment with the Medical Oncologist. She will put me on a regimen of chemo that is a treatment every 2 weeks for 8 weeks. Then I will have an additional 12 weeks of an injection of a different type of chemo drug. So, that's a total of 20 weeks before I would have surgery! They want me to start chemo this Friday. I'll find out this afternoon if that will work out. Otherwise it would be Monday.

Meanwhile, I found out that my breast surgeon (the first doctor that I saw)is not board certified - yikes! So, I have been stressing out trying to figure out another surgeon! I am meeting with another one tomorrow and she comes highly recommended. We'll see.

Please keep praying for strength and wisdom for Todd and I through this entire process! It's hard to trust my life with people I don't even know! Thank you!

Linda

3 comments:

  1. Thank you for the update, Linda! My Mom's surgeon was Dr. Yu at Providence Portland if you are looking for recommendations. She loved how he was willing to take her as a patient all the way through (even post surgery). Mom found the problem when you have different doctors every step of the way that everyone has a different opinion for treatment. She also likes that to this day, when she has her Mammograms, she always has an appointment with him immediately afterwards to discuss things. But I realize that it's a different side of town, so that may not be helpful. How scary that the first surgeon is not certified! I will continue to pray for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting the update, you've been on my mind a lot and in my prayers. You were wise to seek out a board cert. surgeon. I'll pray that you only work with health care professionals that are of the upmost calibur and have your best intrest in mind at all times.

    I spend time in a chemo lab about every 12-18 months, mostly at the Tualatin Hosp. lab and I can tell you that the nurses that work there all day are absolute angels and will care for you in ways you may thought you wouldn't need. These labs are setup with TV, food, and you may meet some intresting folks along the way. While I'm there, it's a reminder to myselft to be grateful for my health.

    Sittin in the lab can be a little lonely depending on how long the treatments last, so if you want a friend to go along and drive you there, just sit with you, chat, listen, watch TV, read, talk about baking, talk about kids, laugh, cry, complain, discuss deep stuff, laugh at shallow stuff, nap, watch the weather, pick out healthy recipes, make fun of each other, or just be your friend. I'll be there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for the update. You are always on my heart. :-) I'll continue to pray for your recovery and the process of finding the right doctor. Please don't forget to let me know what I can do for you.

    ReplyDelete