Thursday, July 29, 2010

A Little Bit of Good News

I'm so sorry that I haven't updated my blog in so long! In my last post, I mentioned that my Grandpa wasn't doing well and that I would be going up to see him. Well, he passed away that weekend that I was there visiting him - I'm so glad that I was there to say goodbye to him! He was a very special man and I will miss him so much!

But on the bright side, my tumors continue to shrink! In fact, I had another ultrasound today and the tech couldn't even find anything except for a tiny lymph node in my arm pit which is the one that my doctor can barely feel. But nothing else! Hallelujah! I'm praying that the lymph node will continue to shrink even more with the last 5 treatments! Yes, only 5 more! And I'm getting a little bit of peach fuzz coming in on my head. I think I have like 5 hairs that are 1/2" long! I'll take what I can get!

On the other hand, my fingernails are worsening. Two of them are lifting from the nail beds so I have to constantly disinfect them and bandage them so that they don't get caught on things. I complain about them a lot - my poor husband puts up with it! I'm actually complaining a lot these days . . . I'm just getting weary of chemo every week and my fingernails almost falling off and my hair being gone . . . and I've been getting mouth sores because my white blood cells are getting low. But today I feel brighter because of the good news at my ultrasound! And knowing that after tomorrow I'll only have 4 more treatments!

Also, if you are in the area and want to do the race for the cure on September 19th with my team "Team Pinkalicious", then register soon so that we can organize something fun as a group like get t-shirts or pink hair extensions or something like that! Time is ticking away so we need to all get registered soon! Thank you so much for your support!

Rock on!

3 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear about your loss, I know how difficult it can be to say goodbye to your loved ones! Praise the Lord for your tumors shrinking! I will continue to keep you and your family in my prayers. Stay strong!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been a silent prayer warrior for you and reader of your blog. My name is Sharilyn Nydam and Alvin Bartsch is my brother--married to your Aunt Sandi. He is the one who got me praying for you when you were diagnosed. We've met your parents.

    Glad to hear you'll be participating in the Race for the Cure. Our race here in Minneapolis is always on Mother's Day. It is always a special day as I run in memory of my mother and mother-in-law--who both had breast cancer. (Plus most of my Aunts and cousins) And I myself am a 30 year survivor now!! I've never had a team to celebrate my survivorship any of the years I've run. Infact, I've usually had to go alone--since my husband is a Pastor and needs to be at the Church on Sunday mornings!! But in 2003 my daughter-in-law ran with me, 2007 my daughter. Sarah and this year I was excited to have my son-in-law, Andrew ran with me. Then he did the 5K again (later that morning) as he did the Walk with his wife (daughter Rachel) and 2 grandkids ages 4 1/2 and 3.

    I am so grateful to the Lord to celebrate my survivorship (mastectomy 1980, metastasis 1982 and right mastectomy in 1994-- of different kind of cancer than the left). This year at the Race for the Cure I was asked to participate in the 9th annual Breast Cancer Awareness Education Day coming up Oct 9, 2010 at the Minneapolis Convention Center. i've never attended before, but am looking forward to being a model in their luncheon style show. Last week I met the other models--about 16-18 women, all of us survivors-- doing this for the first time--- and 2 men who modeled before but willing to do it again to encourage awareness of breast cancer in men. Was fun to meet them and all the executive committee. Bloomingdales at the Mall of America is supplying all our clothes. (And--no--they are NOT giving them to us!!, but we can purchase them for 20 % discount--IF we choose. We are to make individual appointments at Bloomingdales with a fitter, sometime in September, to pick out our outfit. We won't be able to attend all the education sessions because a salon is coming in to do our hair and makeup during part of that time.

    I'm not sure if your area has an education day like this? I'd never even heard of it here. This is the first year here that this education event has become partnered with Susan G Komen Race for the Cure and they are hoping to double their attendance at the convention center. Just thought I'd mention it to encourage you to participate--if you ever get asked to model. At least so far--it's been a good experience. We have submitted information from which they will be writing our bios which will be posted on their website and also printed in the program for the event. Some interviews will also be done for the event and for a video. They've seemed particulrly interested in my story. I'd appreciate your praying with me that it will be an opportunity for me to give glory to the Lord and let others know about what He can do for them.

    I'll be continuing to pray for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have made you and I will carry you. (Isaiah:46:4)

    Always in our hearts and prayers, Linda.

    Mom & Dad D. ^j^

    ReplyDelete